Southern California Hospital Culver City

Our History

In 1925, Dr. Foster Hull, Culver City’s health officer, built the city’s first hospital—which has evolved into the dynamic and state-of-the-art facility that SCH-Culver City has become. The Hull Building, our original home located at 9543 Culver Blvd., still stands there today.

Fast forward approximately 30 years, and the physical space where we now stand opened its doors. Dr. David Brotman, the son of a wallpaper hanger, moved to Los Angeles as a family physician with a vision: to build a hospital staffed with the finest doctors to serve everyone in the surrounding neighborhoods. When he bought a small Culver City building in the 1950s, it was his first step to offer medical treatment to local residents.

It was understood that for a hospital to be successful it had to offer top specialists in different fields. Some of the best doctors from other hospitals and medical schools were recruited to head up departments at our expanding hospital. Brotman Medical Center became one of the premier hospitals in Los Angeles.

By the 1970s, Brotman Hospital (its new name) had expanded to three buildings and our current 420 beds. Brotman Hospital was then acquired by Prospect Medical Holdings, Inc., which later consolidated it with two sister facilities (one in Hollywood and one in Van Nuys) to form Southern California Healthcare System.

Under its current ownership, Southern California Hospital at Culver City is building upon its original founding vision. Combining compassion with innovative medicine, the hospital is responsive to the needs of the Culver City community. Top medical specialists continue to join an outstanding physician roster.

Our hospital has a legacy in the Los Angeles healthcare community, and our goal is to build upon it. As we approach the end of our first century, we anticipate remaining one of the Southland’s premier hospitals.